Three Transition Year students have taken part in a programme called “Your Turn”, initiated by the Common Purpose educational organisation. It ran for three full days in different venues around Cork.
Common Purpose believes that young people have an essential role to play in changing the way society works. The Your Turn campaign for 15-17 year olds aims to unlock their leadership potential by giving young people the information and inspiration they need to make a difference.
Your Turn seeks to empower local young people to develop their confidence and self-esteem, enable them to take up leadership roles within their communities and to participate effectively in decision making processes at all levels in Irish society.
Your Turn aims to:
- encourage an integrated approach to problem solving
- break down barriers and create an understanding of other opinions
- increase the percentage of young people involved in local and city life
- raise aspirations and expectations of transition year students with regard to their future and that of their communities, schools and youth organisations
- enable young people to make more informed life choices.